Investigative Services (IS) is the investigative arm of the Deputy Secretary and is headquarted at Central Office in Baton Rouge. IS has field offices in every secure care facility. These field offices answer to Central Office IS leadership and functions independently from the facility leadership. The primary mission of IS is the protection from harm of the youth in our care.
- Allegations of abuse relayed by youth in the secure facilities allegedly committed by staff upon the youth,
- Staff complaints of battery committed upon them by youth,
- Youth assaults against other youth when at least one youth receives a serious injury, or
- Any serious injury received by a youth in secure care.
IS also monitors and reviews:
- All incidents occurring in the secure care facilities to ensure policies are being followed.
- Recorded video of the dormitories to insure youth are being supervised properly and no abuse or policy violations are being committed.
IS also conducts investigations of all crimes committed on the grounds or within the agency and all escapes from secure care facilities. A select group of IS investigators are commissioned by the Louisiana State Police, are P.O.S.T. (Police Officer Standards and Training) certified by the State, and have arrest powers within the State of Louisiana. IS also handles internal affairs investigations for the agency dealing with policy infractions.
For additional information contact: Chad.Wells@la.gov